ASM Jim Pittard Early Career Award
The purpose of this award is to recognise distinguished contributions in any area of Australian research in microbiology by scientists in early stages of their career. Two awards will be given each year.
- have been a member of the society in any category for at least two years and must currently be a MASM
- have been engaged in research at postdoctoral level or equivalent for less than or equal to five years or the equivalent of less than or equal to five years of full-time research since acquiring their postdoctoral degree in cases of significant career interruption on the closing date of the year of application.
- Demonstrated active participation in ASM affairs at National or local branch level (including as a student member) or in promoting the interests of the Society to the Australian or international community.
Applications must include:
- a curriculum vitae (including a list of publications)
- a one page summary of contribution to research in Microbiology
- a brief statement addressing the essential and desirable selection criteria
- the names and addresses (including email addresses) of two (2) referees
Conditions of the Award
Applicants need to show that their area of research excellence was work done substantially in Australia or, for those applicants recently returned from overseas, is ongoing work in Australia that will enhance the nation's international reputation in microbiology.
The recipient is required to present the Jim Pittard Lecture at the ASM Annual Scientific Meeting.
Two awards will be made each year based on merit. The award committee will consist of the ASM President, Immediate Past President, President Elect,NSAC Chair and Scientific Advisors.
The award consists of:
- a plaque given at the ASM Awards Ceremony at the Annual Scientific Meeting
- a $1,000 cash prize
- full ASM Annual Scientific Meeting registration
- return economy flights
- up to 3 nights accommodation
- 20 minutes speaking slot (including questions) at the current year's Annual Scientific Meeting
Download an application form here.
Applications should be sent to the National Office Manager (email@example.com)
Closing Date for applications: April 30th of any year
Acknowledgement: An acknowledgement will be emailed within 5 business days of receiving your application - if this has not been received, please contact the ASM National Office - Tel: 1300 656 423
Jaclyn Pearson, University of Melbourne, VIC