Millis-Colwell Postgraduate Award
Applications are invited from the Australian Society for Microbiology (ASM Aus) members for the Millis-Colwell Award. This award enables the reciprocal exchange of one member between the Australian Society for Microbiology and the American Society for Microbiology (American ASM) to visit a research laboratory in each country and to attend a National Conference of the other society. There are four awards available each year, 2 for student members and 2 for senior members.
The Award provides:
The total award will be no more than AUD$4000 which is to cover travel to the American Society of Microbiology annual general meeting, internal flights to the collaborating institution and accommodation costs and 14 days accommodation.
The registration at the American ASM is covered by The Australian Society for Microbiology.
Conditions of the Award are:
- Award holders will normally be expected to continue to receive a salary / student stipend from their home institution or other source.
- Payment of the award is conditional on the applicant presenting his/her research at the American ASM meeting as indicated by the scientific committee.
- Applicants are expected to have adequate insurance arrangements and to provide evidence of this. The scheme does not cover the costs of insurance.
- All grant recipients must complete a short project report and provide a statement of expenditure (backed up by receipts/invoices as appropriate) within one month of return from Australia.
Applicants must submit
- An accepted Abstract of a presentation (oral or poster) at the General Meeting of the American ASM.
- A letter of agreement to visit a research laboratory of a US scientist in the period immediately before or immediately after the General meeting of the American ASM.
- A brief curriculum vitae (2 pages)
- A synopsis of your research, current position and career goals (1 page).
- Details of the work to be undertaken in the USA laboratory and how it relates to the development of your career. Also include relevant details including whether or not this collaboration has attracted funding or if the intention will be to submit grants to attract further funding. (1 page)
To be eligible for this award:
- You must be a member of ASM.
- You must be awarded your PhD. Applicants should normally have been engaged in research for not more than 5 years after doctoral qualification. Years may be added to this total in respect of career breaks for parenthood or other substantive reasons.
- You are currently working at an Australian University/hospital/research institute.
The Review committee will rank the applications based upon the following criteria:
- Scientific excellence of the applicant - CV
- Quality and originality of proposed presentation - Abstract
- Depth of the applicant's research experience - Synopsis of Research
- Benefit of proposed research visit - Synopsis of Research
- Active or emerging collaboration between the U.S. and Australian institutions - Evidence of Collaboration
Applications should be submitted electronically to the ASM National Office by COB 30th November in any year. The email address for submission of applications is: firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should say "Millis-Colwell Award".
All applications will be acknowledged. If you do not get an acknowledgement within 3 working days of submission please call the ASM National Office on 1300 656 423.
Previous Award Winners
Ajay Krishnamurtby - inaugural year