MILLIS-COLWELL POSTGRADUATE AWARD
Applications are invited from the Australian Society for Microbiology (ASM Aus) members for the Millis-Colwell Award. This award enables the reciprocal exchange of one member between the Australian Society for Microbiology and the American Society for Microbiology (American ASM) to visit a research laboratory in each country and to attend a National Conference of the other society.
There are four awards available each year, 2 for student members and 2 for senior members.
The total award will be no more than AUD$4000 which is to cover travel to the American Society of Microbiology annual general meeting, internal flights to the collaborating institution and accommodation costs and 14 days accommodation.
The registration at the American ASM is covered by The Australian Society for Microbiology.
+ Eligibility Requirements
- You must be a member of ASM for a minimum of 1 year.
- You must be awarded your PhD. Applicants should normally have been engaged in research for not more than 5 years after doctoral qualification. Years may be added to this total in respect of career breaks for parenthood or other substantive reasons.
- You are currently working at an Australian University/hospital/research institute.
+ Application Requirements
Applications must include:
- An accepted Abstract of a presentation (oral or poster) at the General Meeting of the American ASM.
- A letter of agreement to visit a research laboratory of a US scientist in the period immediately before or immediately after the General meeting of the American ASM.
- A brief curriculum vitae (2 pages)
- A synopsis of your research, current position and career goals (1 page).
- Details of the work to be undertaken in the USA laboratory and how it relates to the development of your career. Also include relevant details including whether or not this collaboration has attracted funding or if the intention will be to submit grants to attract further funding. (1 page)
+ Conditions of Award
- Award holders will normally be expected to continue to receive a salary/student stipend from their home institution or other source.
- Payment of the award is conditional on the applicant presenting his/her research at the American ASM meeting as indicated by the scientific committee.
- Applicants are expected to have adequate insurance arrangements and to provide evidence of this. The scheme does not cover the costs of insurance.
- All grant recipients must complete a short project report and provide a statement of expenditure (backed up by receipts/invoices as appropriate) within one month of return from Australia.
- Student applicants must be enrolled in a Ph.D program and have had their candidature confirmed.
+ Award Review Committee
The award will be determined by the Executive Committee and will be ranked on the following criteria:
- Scientific excellence of the applicant - CV
- Quality and originality of proposed presentation - Abstract
- Depth of the applicant's research experience - Synopsis of Research
- Benefit of proposed research visit - Synopsis of Research
- Active or emerging collaboration between the U.S. and Australian institutions - Evidence of Collaboration
PREVIOUS AWARD WINNERS