NZMS POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH TRAVEL AWARD
Applications are invited from Australian Society for Microbiology student members for the ASM – New Zealand Microbiology Society (NZMS) Postgraduate Research Travel Award. This award allows for the reciprocal exchange of one student member each year to visit the National conference of the other society and to visit the research lab of a collaborating researcher in that country.
The total award will be no more than AUD$3000 to travel to the NZMS annual general meeting, internal flights to the collaborating institution and accommodation costs for 14 days. The registration at the NZMS annual general meeting will be waived.
+ Eligibility Requirements
- You must be a member of ASM.
- You are enrolled in a Full Time PhD program at an Australian University and are an Australian citizen or permanent resident
+ Application Requirements
Applications must include:
- An accepted Abstract for presentation (oral or poster) at the NZSM annual general meeting.
- A letter of agreement to visit a research laboratory of a NZ scientist in the period immediately before or immediately after the NZSM annual general meeting.
- A brief curriculum vitae (2 pages)
- A synopsis of your research for your PhD project, the stage of PhD candidature and tentative submission date (1 page).
- Details of the work to be undertaken in the NZ laboratory and how it relates to the completion of your PhD. Also include relevant details such as a letter from your supervisor indicating that there is evidence of collaboration (including joint publications or funds) or if there is an emerging strategy to obtain joint publication/funding. (1 page)
+ Conditions of Award
- Award holders will normally be expected to continue to receive a salary/student stipend from their home institution or other source.
- Payment of the award is conditional on the applicant presenting his/her research at the NZMS meeting as indicated by the scientific committee.
- Applicants are expected to have adequate insurance arrangements and to provide evidence of this. The scheme does not cover the costs of insurance.
- All grant recipients must complete a short project report and provide a statement of expenditure (backed up by receipts/invoices as appropriate) within one month of return from Australia.
+ Award Review Committee
The award will be determined by the Executive Committee and will be ranked on the following criteria:
- Scientific excellence of the applicant - CV
- Quality and originality of proposed presentation - Abstract
- Depth of the applicant's research experience - Synopsis of Research
- Benefit of proposed research visit - Synopsis of Research
- Active or emerging collaboration between the NZ and Australian research groups - Evidence of Collaboration
PREVIOUS AWARD WINNERS