ASM FRANK FENNER AWARD
Awarded annually to recognise distinguished contributions in any area of Australian research in microbiology by scientists in a formative stage of their career, rather than to reward senior scientists for a lifetime of achievement. Two awards will be given each year.
The recipients of the Frank Fenner Awards are expected to present 15 minutes presentations at the current year’s Annual Scientific Meeting. They will also each receive a plaque given at the meeting’s award ceremony, $1000 prize money, a full conference registration to the Annual Scientific Meeting and up to 3 nights accommodation.
+ Eligibility Requirements
- Have been a member of the society in any category for at least two years and must currently be a MASM or FASM.
- Have been engaged in research at postdoctoral level or equivalent for less than or equal to fifteen years of fulltime research since acquiring their postdoctoral degree in cases of significant career interruption on the closing date of the year of application.
- To be eligible you need to be an Associate Professor or below.
Demonstrated active participation in ASM affairs at National or local branch level or in promoting the interests of the Society to the Australian or international community.
+ Application Requirements
Applications must include:
- a curriculum vitae (including alist of publications)
- a one page summary of contribution to research in Microbiology
- a brief statement addressing the essential and desirable selection criteria
- the names and addresses (including email addresses) of two (2) referees
+ Conditions of Award
Applicants need to show that their area of research excellence was work done substantially in Australia or, for those applicants recently returned from overseas, is ongoing work in Australia that will enhance the nation's international reputation in microbiology. The recipients are required to present the Fenner Lectures at the ASM Annual Scientific Meeting.
+ Award Review Committee
The award committee will consist of the ASM President, Immediate Past President, President Elect, NSAC Chair and Scientific Advisors.
PREVIOUS AWARD WINNERS
Maria Liaskos & Martina Sanderson Smith
Anton Peleg & Makrina Totsika
Catherine Satzke & Hayley Newton
Scott Beatson & Kate Seib
Linda Blackall & Michael Jennings